Eating with Braces
There are plenty of foods to enjoy while wearing braces. However, there are some foods can cause damage to your appliances, which can increase the length of your treatment. No one wants to spend longer in braces than they have to, so try and stay away from the foods that can harm your appliances.
Foods You CAN Enjoy with Braces:
Think soft, healthy, and easy to chew!
- Dairy — cheese, pudding, ice cream, scrambled eggs
- Breads — tortillas, pancakes, muffins
- Grains — pasta, soft cooked rice
- Meats/poultry — chicken, meatballs, lunch meats
- Seafood — tuna, salmon, crab cakes
- Vegetables — mashed potatoes, steamed spinach, beans
- Fruits — bananas, chopped fruits like apples and peaches
- Treats — milkshakes, smoothies, cake, pie
Foods to Avoid with Braces:
- Sticky and Chewy foods — bagels, licorice, gum, caramel, beef jerky
- Hard and crunchy foods — nuts, hard candies, ice
Foods to Use Caution or Cut Up:
- Pizza crusts, carrots, subs, etc.
- Foods that you bite into — corn on the cob, apples, chicken wings, ribs